X-Pert 53 Interview
Kevin Mullins Is A Wedding And Social documentary photographer originally from Wales but now residing in the Cotswold town of Malmesbury.
Kevin is a world renowned Fujifilm X-Photographer who has a multitude of awards for his reportage style wedding photography in which he simply loves to take photos of people being people. He is a member of many prestiges professional photographic bodies, as well as being one eighth of the Kage Collective. It's a honour to have him grace the 53mm website and a coup to have him share his thoughts on all things XF35mm.
Here is Kevin's X-pert 53.
1. What Genre Of Photography Do You Specialise In?
Documentary Wedding Photography with some Street and Social Documentary elements too.
2. Why Do You Like Using The XF35mm Lenses?
It’s a great focal length – almost as near to the human eye as you can get. The lenses are very light and quick too.
3. What Do You Like Photographing The Best With Your XF35mm Lens/Lenses? Why Your Choice?
I think this lens is perfect for me for portrait shots. I shoot a lot of my kids with it, but at weddings I’ll often use it for “record” shots of the guests – headshots etc.
Why Your Choice?
Again because they are so light and very quick. The 1.4 especially useful in low light scenarios.
4. Do You Shoot Professionally With The XF35mm Lenses?
5. Fuji XF35mm F/1.4 Or Fuji XF35 F/2?
I have both
Why Your Choice?
I’d use them both side by side if necessary. The 1.4 obviously is better when the light is more challenging.
6. How Often Do You Reach For Your XF35mm Lens/Lenses?
I’d say it accounts for around 10% of my pro use.
7. Could You Live With Just An XF35mm Lens In Your Photography Bag?
Yes, though I would be constrained somewhat I would definitely be able to do it.
8. Do You Like To Use Available Light Or Studio Light With Your XF35mm Lens/Lenses?
100% available light.
9. What Fuji-X Camera Body Do You Prefer To Use The XF35mm Lenses On?
They work great with both the X-Pro2 and X-T1. I think the X-Pro2 and the 34mm f2 are a match made in heaven.
10.Do You Have Any Favourite Photographs Using The XF35mm Lenses?
Yes I do