X-pert 53 Interview
Sascha Niethammer is a documentary and street photographer based in Hamburg, Germany.
He is a seasoned Fuji photographer who shoots both personal and commercial photography. Although he doesn't exclusively use the XF35mm lenses nor captures images with them regularly, he has graced the 53mm Instagram feed with some wonderful examples demonstrating what the XF35mm F1.4 lens can produce and for which specific purpose. Here is an honest account of using the XF35mm lenses from the point of view of a photographer who also specialises with different Fuji XF lenses.
Here is Sascha's X-pert 53.
1. What Genre Of Photography Do You Specialise In?
- I take pictures of people, music and life.
2. Why Do You Like Using The XF35mm Lenses?
- It's smaller than my XF16mm and XF23mm lenses :-)
3. What Do You Like Photographing The Best With Your XF35mm Lens/Lenses? Why Your Choice?
Why Your Choice?
Because of the focal length of 50mm, it's good for portraits but it is too long for my kind of street photography or documentary shots.
4. Do You Shoot Professionally With The XF35mm Lenses?
- Yes, I use the XF35mm for commercial shots as well as portrait shots.
5. Fuji XF35mm F/1.4 Or Fuji XF35 F/2? Why Your Choice?
Why Your Choice?
I love using wide open apertures. I have never used the new F/2 lens.
6. How Often Do You Reach For Your XF35mm Lens/Lenses?
- Here is where I need to be honest. Some years ago I bought my first Fuji-X camera, the Fuji X-Pro1 with the XF35mm F/1.4 and XF18mm f?2 lenses. The change from DSLR to Fuji-X system was one of the best decisions in my photographic life. It's changed my work, my look, my everything! And I loved the XF35mm too! Nice bokeh, very sharp, great lens. But with the time, I had to get closer to the people I was photographing and one day the 50mm (XF35mm) was too much for me. Since this day I'm only using a 24mm FOV 9XF16mm) and a 35mm FOV (XF23mm). This is more my kind of photography. If I really need more focal length, then I will use the XF35mm or the XF56mm lenses. I think actually, 95% of my work is now shot with the XF16mm and XF23mm lenses.
7. Could You Live With Just An XF35mm Lens In Your Photography Bag?
- Yes I could but I would rather live with the XF16mm in my bag. That's better for me.
8. Do You Like To Use Available Light Or Studio Light With Your XF35mm Lens/Lenses?
- Available light, sure as death!
9. What Fuji-X Camera Body Do You Prefer To Use The XF35mm Lenses On? Why Your Choice?
- I'm using the X-T1 for most of the time. Sometimes the X-Pro1. Maybe the X-Pro2 could be the best camera for me. Fujifilm, if you read this, I need an X-Pro2 please. Come on! :-)
Why Your Choice?
I love the optical viewfinder of my X-Pro 1 but I'm loving the X-T1 so much more. Why? I love the image quality and the handling. With the X-T1, I don't need the menu anymore. All the important settings I can change easily outside the menu system. But I think the technical aspects of photography are not so important. For a good photograph, feeling is better than thinking.
10.Do You Have Any Favourite Photographs Using The XF35mm Lenses?
- Sure. Please see my favourite shots using the XF35mm F/1.4 lens.
11.Finish This Line: The Fuji XF35mm Lenses Are…
- An important step on my photographic way. Was like the first love. Finished a great experience which I would never forget.